Sunday, July 6, 2008

Clicking Sound of Death

When I switched on my computer yesterday morning, it was fine until I start to hear some clicking sound. Well this had been going on for couple of weeks now but I sort of ignored it. Then it happened! My computer suddenly hanged and I restarted it. Then it was all gone. Cannot power up, loud clicking sounds... and my worst fear was realised. My harddisk has crashed... The 1st time it happened in my life! Goodness me.

All the times my harddisk failed was because it was corrupted and the remedy is very simple. Buy a new harddisk, and use the corrupted one as a 2nd slave harddisk to transfer all necessary data then do a format of this old harddisk and it will be as good as new. However this time, the harddisk crashed. 'Clicking Sound of Death' is the term coined on online articles and it will cost lots to recover anything from the harddisk. (I have sent a request and asked for a quote from data recovery companies just for fun and I expect it to cost no less than $500 or $1000 because its a physical failure instead of a logical failure)

Haiz, actually it was due to my 2 mistakes. 1st, when the clicking sound surfaced a couple of weeks ago, I already got a bad feeling. However due to my poor error of misjudgement, I thought it was the 2nd harddisk that was giving problems! Therefore I backup all my MP3s in that 2nd harddisk first. That took me a couple of hours and 5 DVDs in all. If I have known it was my main harddisk that was giving problems, I would have backup my OUTLOOK address book, email messages and the numerous photos in my main drive first.

Second mistake: I procastinated. I actually wanted to backup these files yesterday but before I can even do anything, my com hanged and the rest was history. I had 2 weeks to backup and yet all I did was to backup my MP3s and my main installers for various programs. No point crying over spilt milk now.

I lost all my more recent photos from 2007 to now (ARGH!, memories!), my email address book (small argh!, because I got an old backup so the damage is not too great), my emails (ARGH! kept lots of emails from various important sites etc, all gone), my Favorite folder for IE7.0, (small argh!, all the websites I frequent are all gone, have to slowly look for it again if I remember. haha)

Bought a new harddisk, setup already and now my computer is up and running again but my main drive seems so empty and with the original windows XP wallpaper. haha oh well, please remember to back up often and not become like me. You won round 1, you clicking sound of death! but you can never take me down just like that. I will be ready for you next time! hahaha

No comments: